Vascular tumors in children up to 3 years. Literature review


  • Sergiu CIUPAC OMF pediatrică și Pedodonție „Ion Lupan”
  • Vladmir SIMINOVICI OMF pediatrică și Pedodonție „Ion Lupan”



Classification, congenital hemangioma, infantile hemangioma, vascular malformation


Today, many people worldwide suffer from at least one vascular disease, one of these diseases is the hemangioma. A hemangioma is a vascular tumor which, in many cases, requires surgical intervention. Aproximatively 30% of all hemangiomas are visible at birth. It occurs 5 time more often in females than in males, 83% occur on the head and neck area, the remaining 17 % appear throughout to the rest of the body, externally and internally. The biggest problem is the origin of this tumor. Could we understand how a hemangioma forms, we should be able to accelerate its disappearance, or prevent its growth in the first place.

Author Biographies

Sergiu CIUPAC, OMF pediatrică și Pedodonție „Ion Lupan”

asistent universitar; Catedra de Chirurgie

Vladmir SIMINOVICI, OMF pediatrică și Pedodonție „Ion Lupan”

conf. univ.; Catedra de Chirurgie


Hart Isaacs, Jr. Tumors of the Fetus and Infant. An Atlas. Springer-Verlag New York Inc., 2002. Chapter 3Soft tissue tumors. pp. 37-109.

Kumar Vinay: Robbins and Coltran pathologic basis of disease 7th. pp. 545-547 Philadelphia: Saunders Elsevier, 2005.

Mulliken JB, Glowacki J. Hemangiomas and vascular malformations in infants and children: a classification based on endothelial characteristics. Plast Reconstr Surg 1982;69(3):412-22.

Haggstrom AN, Drolet BA, Baselga E, et al. Prospective study of infantile hemangiomas: clinical characteristics predicting complications and treatment. Pediatrics 2006;118(3):882-7.

Sheilagh M. Maguiness, MD and Ilona J. Frieden,MD. Current Management of Infantile hemangiomas. Elsevier Inc., Seminars in cutaneous medicine and surgery. 2010.

Hunzeker C, Geronemus R. Treatment of Superficial Infantile Hemangiomas of the Eyelid Using the 595nm Pulsed Dye Laser . Dermatol Surg 2010;36(5):590-7.

Hogeling M, Adams S, Wargon O. A randomized controlled trial of propranolol for infantile hemangiomas. Pediatrics 2011;128(2):e259-66.

Guo S, Ni N. Topical treatment for capillary hemangioma of the eyelid using beta-blocker solution. Arch Ophthalmol 2010;128(2):255-6.

Pope E, Chakkittakandiyil A. Topical timolol gel for infantile hemangiomas: a pilot study. Arch Dermatol 2010;146(5):564-5.

Morelli JG. Vascular Disorders. In: Kliegman RM, Behrman RE, Jenson HB, Stanton BF, eds. Nelson Textbook of Pediatrics. 19th ed. Philadelphia, Pa: Saunders Elsevier; 2011,642.

Wilson MW, Hoehn ME, Haik BG, Rieman M, Reiss U. Low-dose cyclophosphamid and interferon Alfa 2a for the treatment of capillary hemangioma of the orbit. Ophthalmology 2007;114(5):1007-11.

Minirth F, Meier P. The Complete Life Encyclopedia of Minirth Meier New Life Family Resource. Thomas Nelson Publishers, 1995. pp 82,105,106,197, 243,494.

Scripcaru G, Ciucă A, Astărăstoae V. Bioetica, ştiinţele vieţii şi drepturile omului. Polirom, 2002.

Angelescu N., Tratat de patologie chirurgicală, Editura Medicală, Bucureşti, 2001

Grigorescu M., Tratat de hepatologie, Editura Medicală Naţională, Bucureşti, 2004

Popescu I., Chirurgia ficatului, vol. I, Editura Universitară “Carol Davila”, Bucureşti, 2004

Popescu I., Bertan M., Manual de chirurgie, vol. I, Editura Universitară “Carol Davila”, Bucureşti, 2007

Tehnici de chirurgie vasculară, Editura Medicală Bucureşti, 2002





Overview Article